oneworld turns 20 – announces major benefits for customers
- February 5, 2019
Global airline alliance oneworld has marked its 20 anniversary announcing major benefits for customers and airlines. The moves are designed to increase the value that oneworld delivers to customers and to its member airlines into its third decade, while reflecting the substantial changes in the marketplace and the industry since oneworld originally took off on 1 February 1999.
oneworld’s transformation includes:
- A new oneworld digital platform that will, as it is progressively rolled out, bring to life in the digital era the alliance’s core promise of seamless connectivity for customers flying on multi-sector, multi-airline journeys, via the convenience of their preferred member airline’s mobile app or website – without having to download any additional app or enter more log-in credentials.
- An increased level of alliance co-location projects at a number of key airports around the world – with plans to unveil the first oneworld branded, developed and managed lounge later this year.
- A fresh approach to corporate sales, enabling oneworld to respond much faster to requests for alliance contracts, which currently generate US$1 billion a year for member airlines. Since trials of the new process began six months ago, revenues have risen 10 per cent. Dozens of the world’s biggest multinational corporations have signed corporate accounts with the alliance rather than a series of individual airline deals.
- A revised process for prospecting potential new members. The first airline to join as a result will be Royal Air Maroc, next year – oneworld’s first full member recruit for six years and its first from Africa.
- The alliance’s first new membership platform, oneworld connect – designed with smaller, regional airlines in mind – with Fiji Airways’ entry as the first partner to join in this capacity to be completed by the end of next month. Talks are progressing with other airlines interested in signing, from the Americas, Europe and Asia-Pacific, enabling the alliance to spread its wings still further globally.